Here’s a list of possible Annotum enhancements and fixes. What’s important to you? Let us know by suggesting features at the Annotum Feedback Forum.
- Fix all issues on the Annotum open issues list.
- Enhancements to WYSIWYG/WYSIWYAATD editing (even more elegant)
- edit images, edit equations, etc.
- add references to items (fig, table) within current article
- Some way to delete an entire wrapper. For example, an easy way to select an entire figure, or an entire table wrapper
- Ability to insert ‘parts’ into wrappers. Example: oops, we deleted a caption in the figure, but want to add it back in. No other way to do this currently outside of inserting a new figure.
- Better handling of ‘broken’ tag structure (i.e., don’t permit removal of required tags, better cleanup for invalid DTD markup)
- Allow nested subsections with appropriate heading levels
- More support for paste from Word, other rich formats
- Refactor / re-evaluate the tinyMCE experience.
- References and Media
- Reference management including import/export API (Zotero, Endnote, etc.) and sharing across articles.
- Media “archive”: easier to mange (tag) assets uploaded to a journal to be reused across articles
- Richer media handling e.g. video
- Template system (pre-defined article sections)
- Profile integration (Author profile and WordPress profile); links to existing author databases
- General UI simplification. Hide more of WordPress interface [c.f. Adminimize plugin]
Review Process / Workflow
- Inline document annotation/markup (comments at a specific point in the text)richer collaboration model
- allowance for designation of reviewer groups or other ways to select large numbers of reviewers
- Configurable workflow (additional states?)
- Hosting: wider support for various hosting environments; preconfigured one-click installers for popular hosts (GoDaddy, DreamHost, Media Temple, PHPFog)
- WordPress back-end improvements (eg: remove ‘Trash’ button if cannot actually trash an article)
- Custom article list management screen
- Rethink/redo “Author Snapshots”, there should be some way to edit this directly, currently its wiped out every time a published article is manually saved.
- Email notification enhancements
- Configurable Templates
- Individual Opt-in/out
- Code Cleanup / Refactoring
- Refactor portions of the JS for consistency, and there are portions which could use a little DRY methodology
- Refactor the save process a bit.
- For internal/review comments Extend the listtableclass
- Adjust the portions borrowed from WP Core, and importer to our coding standard
- Remove unused portions (mostly in the importer) from the code – left in for WP.com code review comparing
- Add relevant hooks in various spots, so this could be extended by more plugins and contributors.
- Complete support for NLM Journal Article DTD (not just a subset).
- Additional themes/designs
- Tablet/smartphone template
- Improved PDF output
- eBook (ePub or AZW) output
Annotum is a product of Solvitor LLC with heavy lifting by Crowd Favorite
Annotum is free (speech and beer)